Ministry of Justice
- Facilitating the constitutional duty of Government to promote the rule of Law and provide justice;
- Securing and retaining skilled motivated legal officers and para-legal staff to aid administration of justice by creating a peaceful and lawful environment for profitable business transaction;
- Strengthening the Departments including the Oyo State Mediation Centre, P.R.S. and the Office of the Administration-General and Public Trustee for functionality and effectiveness;
- Ensuring the effective use of the Mediation Centre at the Headquarters and operationalizing the zonal mediation centres to minimize litigation to make justice accessible to citizens at the grassroot, thereby encourage alternative dispute resolution;
- Decongesting the prisons by improved prosecution strategy to reduce awaiting trials;
- Effective transportation and conveyance of state counsel to courts for enhanced litigation procedure and to aid general administration;
- Effective computerization of operations to functional working tools and conducive environment in tandem with Government’s transformation agenda;
- Public prosecutions department
- Civil litigation and advisory services i
- Civil litigation and advisory services ii
- Legal drafting and parliamentary counselling department
- Legal drafting and ministerial counselling department
- Mediation centre
- Directorate of general legal administration
- Directorate of planning research and statistics
- Administration and supplies department
- Finance and account department
- Administrator-general and public trustee division
- Honourable Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice.
- Solicitor-General and Permanent Secretary.
- Public Prosecution Directorate.
- Civil Litigation and Advisory Services Directorate.
- Administration-General and Public Trustee division (AG&PT).
- Legal Drafting and Parliamentary Counselling Directorate.
- Legal Drafting and Ministerial Counselling Directorate.
- Mediation Centre.
- General Legal Administration division.
- Planning, Research and Statistics Directorate.
- Finance and Accounts Directorate.
- Administration and Supplies Directorate.
- Honourable Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice:
He is at the helms of affairs and arrowhead that controls, supervise, coordinate, direct/instruct all programme of activities in the Ministry. He also attends as directed by His Excellency all political/official functions.
- Solicitor-General and Permanent Secretary:
He ensures strict compliance with all set out goals and activities as directed by HAGCJ and required statutorily by rules and regulation of civil service. The smooth running of the administration as directed is within his purview.
the Directors could be referred to as Management team of the Ministry and they carry out activities of their various directorates as specified and directed by the duo (HAGCJ / SGPS).
- Other key Officers:
Deputy Directors, Assistant Directors, Principal Officers, State Counsel down the line ensures good administration.
|1.||CHIEF ROTIMI WILLIAMS||1961 – 1962|
|2.||CHIEF WEBER EGBE||JAN – OCT 1963|
|3.||CHIEF BABATUNDE OLOWOFOYEKU||NOV 1963 – JAN 1965|
|4.||DR. LATEEF ADEGBITE||MAY 1973 – JULY 1975|
|5.||MR. S. P. AJIBADE||NOV 1975 – FEB 1976|
|6.||MR. S. A. OLOKO||MAY 1976 – NOV. 1977|
|7.||CHIEF BAMIDELE AIKU||DEC. 1977 – SEPT. 1979|
|8.||MR. JUSTICE ADEWALE THOMPSON||OCT 1979 –SEPT 1983|
|9.||MR. S. B. LATINWO||OCT – DEC. 1983|
|10.||ALH. RAMON AYILARA ADEKOLA||JAN 1984 – SEPT 1985|
|11.||MR. HENRY BANKOLE FABUNMI||JAN 1987 – FEB 1989|
|12.||MR. A. OLAJELO||FEB 1989 – JULY 1991|
|13.||CHIEF AKANO AKANDE||SEPT – DEC 1991|
|14.||MR. TUNJI ONI||JAN – NOV 1993|
|15.||CHIEF AKANO AKANDE||FEB 1994 – 1997|
|16.||DR. JOHN ADEMOLA YAKUBU||NOV. 1999 – APR 1999|
|17.||BARR. ADELEKE ADEBAYO LAWAL||JUNE 1999 – MAY 2003|
|18.||SAMSON LEKAN LATINWO||JUNE 2003 – MAY 2005|
|19.||BARR. OYEJIDE ALAO||JUNE 2005 – DEC. 2005|
|20.||BARR. ADEBAYO SHITTU||DEC. 2006 – MAY 2007|
|21.||BARR. FOLORUNSHO LANA||JUNE 2007 – JUNE 2009|
|22.||AARE ABDULSALAM LADI ABDULLAH||JUNE 2009 – MAY 2011|
|23.||BARR. ADEBAYO MUTAILIB OJO||JUNE 2011 – MAY 2015|
- Timeous rendition and issuance of Legal Advice to both the Nigerian Police and the mdas within 21 days;
- Facilitating the release of about Fifty (50) convicts by procuring financial partnership from the Bar towards payment of their fines;
- Initiating main prosecution to awaiting trial inmates of prisons towards a speedy decongestion of prisons on probono scheme basis;
- The Mediation Centre was able to settle various disputes between parties who voluntarily submit themselves. Issues on family inheritance, landlords\tenants, employer\employee, commercial transactions, debtsrecovery, land matters had Eighty percent (80%) success rate at the Centre;
- Conferment of Justices of Peace on deserving individuals in 2014;
- Geometrical improvement in the generation of revenue to the coffer of the state government by the office of the Administration General and Public Trustee which oversees and manages the estate of the interstate deceased persons;
- The timeous preparation and vetting of contractual agreements by Legal Drafting and Ministerial Counselling Directorate;
- Organized the Constitution Review Committee that produced the best result in the whole of the South-West of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (2012 – 2013):
- Since resumption of the Honourable Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice in May, 2016, he has been able to initiate, processed and achieved the following;Wholesale review of a number of Revenue Bills of various mdas, viz;
- Inspection, Grading and Movement of produce Bill, 2016;
- Oyo State Mineral Development Agency (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
- The Oyo State Security Trust Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
- Fire Services (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
- Cooperatives Societies (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
- Oyo State Road Traffic Management Agency (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
- Fire Services Regulation, 2016 (drafted for the Commissioner of Works and Transport to sign for ease of implementation);
- Oyo State Infrastructure Management and Control Agency Bill, 2016;
- Oyo State Inland Fisheries Bill, 2017;
- Oyo State Sport Council (Amendment) Bill, 2017;
- Oyo State Animal Feed Mill Bill, 2017;
- Forestry (Amendment) Bill, 2017;
- Oyo State Planning Commission Bill. 2016;
- The Technical University, Ibadan (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
- Public Officers Protection Bill, 2016;
- Post Primary Public Institution (Acquisition of Lands and other property)(Amendment) Bill, 2016;
- Oyo State Multi-Door Courthouse Bill, 2017;
- Local Government (Further Amendment) Bill, 2016;
- The Oyo State Environmental Protection Agency (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
- Oyo State Mediation Centre (Amendment) Bill, 2016;
- Oyo State Property Protection Bill, 2016;
- High Court of Oyo State Civil Procedure Rules (Amendment) Bill, 2017;
- College of Cooperative and Entrepreneurship Rules (Amendment) Bill,2017;
LAWS RECENTLY ENACTED:
- Oyo State Property Protection Law, 2017;
- Oyo State Health Insurance Agency Law, 2017;
- Local Government (Further Amendment) Law, 2016;
- Oyo State Community Service Punishment Law, 2016;
- Administration of Criminal Justice Law, 2017;
- Oyo State HIV/AIDS (Anti-Discrimination) Law, 2017;
- Violence Against Women Law, 2107:
- The Ministry deployed its best efforts in defending a caseload of Civil cases of about Three Hundred and Seventy-five (375) cases on Land, Chieftaincy matters and others.
- A memoranda was forwarded to Ministry of Lands on several cases for possible settlement and requesting their imput and reference for His Excellency’s approval;
- A Retreat was organized for the State Counsel on September 16th and 17th, 2016;
- A Programme organized by the Justice Development and Peace Centre (JDPC) on the recently enacted Administration of Criminal Justice Law and Community Service Punishment Law between 25th and 26th January, 2017 was attended by Prosecutors, State Counsel and other major stakeholders like EFCC, ICPC, Police e.t.c.;
- Decongestion of the Prisons, programme was kick-started by the Honourable Attorney-General &Commissioner for Justice;
- Programme by the Federal Attorney-General and Body of Attorney-Generals of the State on Public Prosecution was well attended by the state counsel and other stakeholders in May, 2017: