Our Core Values
Oyo State Board of Internal Revenue
About Oyo State BIR
The Oyo State Board of Internal Revenue is a State Revenue Agency that derives its
existence from the Personal Income Tax Act Law of the Federation 2004, which stipulates
the establishment of the THE BOARD OF INTERNAL REVENUE by all the States of the Federation.
The Oyo State Edict of 1996 established the Board to carry out the functions of assessing, collecting and accounting for taxes, levies and fees with the additional responsibility of tax policy formation for the state.
In April 2004, The Governor of the State(Oyo) gave the Board the authority to implement the said Edict of 1996, in its entirety. That mandate led to the restructuring of the Board in terms of organisational structure and improved revenue generation.
- Unrivalled Professionalism
The objectives of the board are but not limited to the following:
- Transforming the assessment and collection process of revenue into complete auto system, hence blocking revenue leakages and enhance transparency and accountability.
- To ensure geometric increase in revenue generation from taxes, non-taxes and other sources so as to have a sustainable Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) base in the State.
- To widen the State’s revenue sources and improve taxpayers’ database through continuous taxpayer enumeration exercise, enforcement and systematic revenue drive.
- Administer the personal income Tax Decree, 1993 and any tax or levy which shall be under the care of the Board.
- Formulate from time to time, proposal for the expansion and increase of the internal source of the revenue of the state.
- Identify the source of the revenue available in the state;
- Enlighten the public on the subject of taxation.
- Appropriately assess all sources of revenue and taxes in the state;
- Design an effective revenue collection machinery and implement it;
- Enforce all laws relating to taxation and revenue collection;
- Keep proper accounts and records in relation to all tax or revenue collections made by the Board;
- Monitor and coordinate the collection of taxes and revenue in the state by all agencies of the government such as Ministries, Parastatals and public companies;
- Do all such things as may consider necessary or expedient for the assessment and collection of taxes and revenue;Ensure
- Ensure the effectiveness and optimum collection of all taxes and penalties due to government under the relevant laws; Make recommendations, where appropriate, to the Joint Tax Board on tax policy, tax reform, tax legislation, tax treaties and exemptions as may be required from time to time; and
- Make recommendations, where appropriate, to the Joint Tax Board on tax policy, tax reform, tax legislation, tax treaties and exemptions as may be required from time to time;
- Generally exercise control over the management of the state Internal Revenue Service on matters of policy.