- To give Scholarship awards to brilliant Oyo State indigent students in all the tertiary institutions nationwide and abroad.
- To give financial assistance in terms of bursary allowance to all Oyo State indigenes in all the tertiary institutions nationwide.
- To promote academic excellence that will transform and reposition education industry in Oyo State.
- To be proactive in the training of manpower for Oyo State tertiary institutions and the nation as a whole.
Address: Ministry of Education secretariat Ibadan,
The Oyo State Scholarship Board which retrospectively had become moribund since 1983 was resuscitated in the year 2008 as a Parastatal under the Ministry of Education. Rising from this antecedent, the Board among its equals, has relived history, by performing creditably well in giving financial assistance to students of Oyo State indigeneship in all public tertiary Institution as part of its statutory functions. This administration in particular, has stepped up the impact-delivery of the Board through improved funding and rapidity of response to challenges
The responsibilities of the Board are as follows:-
- To recommend to the Oyo State Government brilliant but indigent students of the State in approved Public Institutions of Higher Learning for Award of Bursary and Scholarship for Post Secondary and Postgraduate programmes respectively.
- To disburse financial Assistance (Bursary) to all indigenesof Oyo State attending the Nigerian Law Schools nationwide.
- To identify the needy students for Gifts and Subventions.
The Board operated under the supervision of various Honourable Commissioners for Education from the year 2008 to date. Viz – a – viz, Professor Nureni Olawore, Professor Taoheed Adedoja, Dr. Nureni Aderemi Adeniran, Mrs Adetokunbo Fayokun, Professor Solomon Olaniyonu, & Professor Adeniyi Olowofela.
The law that established the moribund State Scholarship Board was not traceable. Consequently, an Ad – hoc committee was set up to draft the law. After the scrutiny by the Board, the draft was verified by the Honourable Commissioner for Education, the Attorney General and Honourable Commissioner for Justice and the Executive Council before being passed into law by the Oyo State House of Assembly. It is worthy note that on Thursday 25th November, 2010, His Excellency, the former Executive Governor of Oyo State, Otunba Christopher Adebayo Alao – Akala assented the law that established the law.
- Scholarship Awards are available to all qualified students of HND, Undergraduate and Postgraduate studies in approved/accredited Public Institutions.
- Each applicant must have completed at least one academic session in his/her higher institution to qualify for an award.
- The awards are renewable every session based on satisfactory academic performance of the awardee.
- Students on Part-Time and Diploma Courses are NOT Qualified to apply.
- No student is allowed to enjoy both the Scholarship and the Bursary Awards simultaneously.
Interested Applicants MUST apply Online using the Oyo State Scholarship Board’s Website and complete the application
As it is one of the working mandates of this Scholarship Board to give Gifts and Subventions to the needy students and any student(s)who has recorded excellent academic performance, Oyo State Government has given Gifts and Subventions to various Oyo State Students.
The beneficiaries of these awards are as follows:-
- Miss Dada Anuoluwapo-a Physically Challenge (Hearing Impaired) Student of University of Ibadan was given Sixty thousand (N60,000.00) naira as Gift; while,
- Miss Omotayo Elizabeth Adebayo – an Orphan and student LAUTECH got One-hundred thousand naira (N100,000.00) as Gift; while
- Miss Ibironke Lawal, the BEST WAEC Student (2012 SET)
throughout Nigeria, is to be rewarded with One hundred and fifty thousand naira (N150,000.00) annually for five (5) years consecutively for her brilliant performance and to sustain her academic prowess in the Higher Institution.
Our appreciation goes to His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Oyo State, Senator (Chief) Abiola Ajimobi for His compassion and great Love to release the money.