The edict that established Sports Council as it is now was signed into Law on 1st July, 1976 which was also amended in August, 1982 and June, 1999 respectively.
The most recent edict that provides for establishment of Oyo State Sports Council stating the functions and powers of the Council as well as its funding was accented to on 25th day of May, 2003 by then Executive Governor, Alhaji (Dr.) Lamidi Onaolapo Adesina.
- To take a continuous pragmatic approach through Sporting affective programme as required in the tenets of physical, social, economical and physiological parlance.
- To create and restored the level of Sports performance in all the nooks and crannies of Oyo State through integral grassroot programmes in order to enhance the level of hunting and keeping the Sports talents that abound within.
- To consistently reposition the level of performance of the State through rigorous training, inter/intra, National, Sub-Regional and schools sporting programmes.
- To assist financially or sponsor the programme or otherwise of any Club, Sporting Association or bodies in Sporting activities.
- To establish and sustain Sports as a career among the Youth with its branches of Sports psychology, physiology, biomechanics, medicine, administration, recreation, marketing and journalism in view.
- To establish playing fields and premises for the practice of or for the holding of matches, competitions or contests among Amateur Cum Professional Teams.
- To assist financially or otherwise, the training of Nigerians to make them fit to be instructors or organizers of any form of sports.
- To supervise, control and where in the opinion of the Council, it is necessary to take over and manage, for such period as the Council may think fit, the affairs and activities of any sports, clubs, associations or other bodies assisted financially or otherwise by the Council.
- To exercise effective control over sports, matches, competitions, contests, ceremonies and functions arranged, promoted, organized or held by the Council or by any Club, Association or other bodies assisted financially or otherwise by the Council.
- To improve on the Council’s revenue generation through strategic business means of Sports and other related discipline.
- To Encourage from time to time self-sustainability of State Sporting Associations in the State and to collaborate through a symbiotic working relationship with federations at National level, business corporations and philanthropic for the improvement of Sports.
Address: Oyo State Sports Council, Lekan Salami Sports Complex, Adamasingba, Ibadan.
- Football Academicals Under – 18 Competition held at Ibadan, Oyo State from 17th June, 2012 Oyo State won 1 Gold medal in Male category.
- Basketball Western Conference Secondary School, Milo Games at Akure, Ondo State from 8th-15th June, 2012 Oyo State won 1Gold in Female category.
- Tennis Nigerian Academical Competition held from 12th – 17th March, 2012, in Ibadan, Oyo State. Oyo won 2 gold and 2 silver medals.
- Powerlifting FAZA Olympic Qualifier Dubai held from 20th February – 5th March, 2012, Yakubu Adesokan won 1Gold in (48kg men class) for Nigeria.
- Oyo State Basketball Team, Oluyole Warrior was promoted from Division to the Premier League Division after 13 years (October, 14th – 22nd 2012, in Abuja.
|1.||NASCOM Junior Tennis Championship||20th – 25 February, 2012||Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State|
|2.||National All Commers Distance Race/Walking||16th – 19th February, 2012||Abuja, FCT|
|3.||7th Edition of garden City Cycling||25th – 27th February, 2012||Port-Harcourt|
|4.||Friendly Scrabble Tournament||23th – 26th February, 2012||Lagos, Lagos State|
|5.||GLO Half Marathon Championship||6th – 16 February, 2012||Ogun State|
|6.||National Wheel Chair Basketball||17th – 26th February, 2012||Sokoto, Sokoto State|
|7.||National All Commers Distance Race/Walking||16th – 19th February, 2012||Abuja, FCT|
|8.||NASCOM Table Tennis Championship||12th – 19th February, 2012||Ibadan, Oyo State|
|9.||NASCOM SOCCER CHAMPIONSHIP|
- Football:- Football President Cup Zone I Elimination (Akure)
Oyo State came first in the zone and qualified to play in the round of 16 later in the year in Abuja.
- Cricket:- Invitation of three of the state’s cricketers to U19 National Camp in Abuja based on their performance in competition in 2014 . The three of them eventually make the National team to Tanzania for U19 World Cup Qualifiers in February, 2015. The cricketers are Akachukwu Chima, Olayele Elijah and Viccent Adewole
- Handball:- Handball qualifiers for All Africa Games/Olympic Games. Invitation of one of the state’s female player to senior national camp and she makes the team to Niger Republic for the qualifiers, where the team qualified for All Africa Games to hold in Congo later in the year. The handball player is Taiwo Raji.
- Gymnastics:- Gymnastics National Open Championship (Kaduna) The state won one gold and one silver.
- Basketball:- DSTV Men Premier Basketball League Represents the state, third season consecutively in the prestigious league.
- Kung-fu:- 1st Chinese Ambassador Cup Wushu Championship Abuja, 2016. Eweje Adeleye (Taole Event) won 2 Gold, Ikpera Faith (Taole Event) won 1 Gold, Kaja Mata (Shan Shou Event) won 1 Bronze. The state won 3 Gold and 1 Bronze
- Rowing and kayak:- 2015 International Lagos Water Regatta. The state won gold in the single event championship, among 8 states, 4 clubs and 2 countries. The gold established Oyo State in the newest sport in the National Sports festival.
- Badminton:- South West States badminton tournament for junior and senior hosted by Tayo Akinfe. Oyo State won four gold, one sliver and three bronze with overrun winner’s shield from the tournament.
- Football:- Football U19 President Cup ( round of 16). Oyo State football team came 3rd with the MVP. The MVP for the competition is Tobi Odedokun
- Taekwondo:- Taekwondo Classics International Open Championship. Oyo State taekwondo team won two gold and two silver.
- Chess:- International Millionaire Chess Championship. Oyo State head coach won the championship. Championship is a qualifier for the grand finale in Las Vegas, United State of America later in the year. Bunmi Olape, won the championship, thus qualifier him to the grand finale.
- Chess:- CPAN National Chess Open Championship. Oyo State won the championship. Femi Balogun came first while Abiola Akinseye came third.
- Para – powerlifting:- Para-powerlifting Federation open trail for All Africa Games in Ijebu-Ode. There of our athletes in the sports are invited to the national camp in preparation for All Africa Game based on their performance at the trails. Adesokan Yakubu, Dauda Ibraheem and Osenwa Toyosi won gold, silver and bronze respectively.
- Para – powerlifting:- Asian Open International Paralympics qualifier in Kazakhstan. Adesokan Yakubu was invited to camp in preparation for the international Paralympics qualifier.
- Table Tennis:- ASO Table Tennis Championship. We won one Sliver and two Bronze. We introduce some of our new discovery to competition setting.
- Para – powerlifting:- Asian Open International Paralympics qualifier in Kazakhstan. The State representative in the national team won silver in his category. Yakubu Adesokan the immediate world record holder in 49Kg move to higher category and still won silver for the nation.
- Chess:- Nothern ope chess Championship. We came first and second in the championship. Anwuli Daniel came first while Osunfuyi Abimbola came second.
- Chess:- National focus Chess championship. We came first, fourth and fifth. Yinka Adesina – 1st Femi Balogun – 4th and Seye Oluwalasinu -5th.
- Chess:- Prochess championship . Oyo State came first and fifth. Osunfuyi Abimbola came first while Seye Oluwalasinu came fifth.
- All Africa Games:- Twenty eight athletes and two coaches are called to national camp in eleven sports in preparation for All Africa Games.
- All Africa Games:-Thirteen athletes and two coaches eventually make the national team in eight sports to the games. Kehinde Joy Obareh (Boxing), Adesokan Yakubu (Powerlifting), Gbolaha Olaiya (Para – Athletics), Monica Uwen (Weightlifting), Ndubusi Joseph (Weightlifting), Olatunde Teresa (Para – Athletics). Coach Kehinde Ayodabo (Weightlifting), Coach Bukola Obesesan (Para – Athletics), Olayinka Yusuf (Boxing), Tope Ayodele (Taekwondo), Adegoke Sarah (Tennis), Durogbade Adejoke (Cycling), Ajibade Quadri (Cycling), Taiwo Raji (Handball), Akindunjoye Johnson (Athletics)
- All Africa Games:- Five athletes in three sports won medals at the games. Kehinde Joy Obareh (Boxing) won 1 gold. Adesokan Yakubu (Powerlifting) won 1 gold (set new world record). Gbolaha Olaiya (Para – Athletics) won 2 bronzes. Monica Uwen (Weightlifting) won 2 silvers and 1 bronze. Ndubusi Joseph (Weightlifting) won 2 bronzes
- Chess:- South West Zonal Chess Championship. Oyo State came first and second in the championship. Abiola Akinseye won the Trophy and Femi Balogun came second
- Judo:- South West Judo Championship. The state won two gold, two silver and one bronze. Abdulramon Ejeba – Gold, Tobi Eboigbe – Gold, Latifat Lawal – Silver, Bose Isaiah – Silver, Ifeanyi Isaac – Bronze
- Hockey:- National Cup – Qualifiers for Olympic Games. Six players and one coach make the national team to South Africa for the tournament. Team came fifth in Africa.
- Nigeria Sports Award:- Adesokan Yakubu was awarded both sportsman of the year 2015 and special sports person of the year 2015.
- Competition: Maxton Suites Blitz
Date and Venue: February, 2016, Maryland Lagos
No. of Athletes: 3
Names of Oyo State Athletes:
- FM Daniel Anwuli
- IM Bunmi Olape
- CM Femi Balogun
Achievements: Rating as at February
- FM Daniel Anwuli is number 2 player in Nigeria with performance rating of 2346
- CM Femi Balogun is number 8 with rating performance of 2188
Competition: 2nd Cote d’voire Invitational Tournament
Date and Venue: 3rd – 8th March, 2016, Graduate School of Management,Abidjan
No. of Athletes: 2
Names of Oyo State Athletes:
- Oluwalosinu Lanre Seye
- FM Osunguyo Abimbola
- Oluwalosinu Lanre Seye had the highest point ever made in the tournament 81/2/9 points
- FM Osunguyo Abimbola with 8/9 points
Competition: Rapid & blitz tournament
Date and Venue: 6th – 7th March, 2016, Dabon, Ivory Cost
No. of Athletes: 1
Name of Oyo State Athlete:
- FM Osunguyo Abimbola
Achievements: 1st Position
Competition: 2016 World Chess Olympiad
Date and Venue: 1st – 13th September, 2016, Baku Azerbaijan
No. of Athletes: 2
Names of Oyo State Athletes:
- FM Daniel Anwuli
- CM Yinka Adesina
- CM Yinka Anwalu gained 15 points and award FIDE MASTER (FM) title
- Bode Oduntan Sports Foundation
- Ajibade Qodiri from Oyo State was one of the three man national cycling team to confederation of Africa Cycling Championship in Cairo in February, 2017.
- Central Bank of Nigeria Senior Open Tennis Championship: Babalola Abdulmumi won the single and double in male category, while Sarah Adegoke came first in single and second in double in female category.
- Two of the state athletes and a coach in hockey are in national camp preparing for Nations cup.
- Emilia Oyase is in National camp in preparation for commonwealth games in July, 2017
- Femi Balogun won zone 4.4 chess championship, which makes him the sole West Africa representative at the chess world later in the year.
Is the head of the Council as well as the accounting officer responsible for the day to day running of the Council; discipline of staff and such other duties as the Council may assign.
In addition, he is responsible to the board and with other management members to implement Sports Policy and Programmes of the Council. The Directors heading each department are responsible to the General Manager.
Presently, the Council has six major departments and these are:
- Sports and Training
- Administration and Supply
- Sports Facilities
- Finance and Accounts
Other units responsible directly to the General Manager are the Audit and the Public Relations Units.
FUNCTIONS OF OTHER MANAGEMENT MEMBERS
The major responsibility of this department is the pragmatic administration of Sporting activities through the following:
- Establishing the administrative capacity of the State Sporting Associations, Local Government Sports Department (Zonal offices) and grassroot Sports project initiative.
- Implement Government Sports Policy as applicable to Sports programmes in view.
- Implement and execute budgets provision for Sports structures and programmes.
- Implement and design sponsorship programmes through marketing of Sports products, of events and where applicable merchandising, endorsement s and adverts of that event.
- Coordinate and organize Sports programmes in line with schedules programmes of National Sports Commission /State/National Associations/Clubs/and other Sporting Organisations/Schools (Primary/Secondary and Tertiary).
- Work closely with other departments of the Council to effectively achieve set goals and objectives.
- Suggest and Design Training /Seminar/Workshop Programmes relevant to Sport Administrative events, programmes and activity.
SPORTS AND TRAINING DEPARTMENT:
This department includes Coaches and Athletes, with focus on improvement of knowledge and advancing the technical skills of Sports personnel, herein referred to coaches, athletes, honourary coaches, games masters/mistress to mention but few.
Other functions include:
- Training of Coaches
- Devising appropriate programme strategy for coaches and athletes to improve performance.
- Evaluate where necessary coaching and athletes personnel for each game product.
- Institute a cohesive training programme/course for coaches and other technical officials from grassroot to develop their competence to implement a channel that will establish athletes’ development.
- To cooperate and work closely with Sports related Institutions (Schools, Clubs and Communities) in the State/National in order to encourage talent hunt from the grassroot.
- To also work closely with other department in the Council to achieve other set goals and objectives.
ADMINISTRATION AND SUPPLY DEPARTMENT:
This department is responsible for quality personnel management of the Council and also general goods, equipment, project management and implementation of the Council.
Also, preparation of Budget in conjunction with the Finance and Account Department is a core responsibility. In addition, the department is responsible for management cum board meetings as directed and general administrative functions of the Council.
Also, work closely with other departments to achieve set goals.
FINANACE AND ACCOUNTS DEPARTMENT:
Is responsible for the general accounts functions of the Council in accordance to the existing Government Financial regulations. Also, proposed strategy on improvement of revenue generation and work closely with other department to achieve desirable goals and objectives of the Council.
SPORTS FACILITIES DEPARTMENT:
This department is responsible for the management of existing and future sports facilities of the Council.
In addition, advise and proposed the establishment of standard Sports facilities and equipment where applicable. Furthermore, the department is expected to devise training strategy for its staff in tandem with modern management technical skills of stadia of the Council.
This department is in charge of medical challenges of the staff and athletes but there is the need to expand its scope to be more relevant to Sports Science and Sports Medicine so as to play a supportive role in assisting athletes to keep a constant level of medical, physical, physiological and psychological fitness to achieve excellent performance.
Application are hereby requested from reputable and interested Private Organisation(s) or Individual(s) with cognate experience and good track record for Expression of Interest in the Commercialization of some of the existing facilities at Lekan Salami Stadium Complex, Adamasingba, Ibadan.
The prevailing economic situations make it expedient to devise means of souring revenue from our under-utilized facilities. Therefore, the commercialization process is in line with State Government desire to develop a strategy to improve the IGR with a bid to service programmes and activities of Government in order to fulfill the Principles of Self Substance.
NATURE AND COMPONENTS OF THE PROJECTS
Modernization and Commercialization of some of the Existing Facilities through Public/Private Partnership (PPP) or Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT). The projects and facilities involved are:
- Commercialization of Existing Car Parks:
The Council intend to partner with would be-investor to commercialize the Car Parks at Gates 1,2,3 and 5 which can conveniently accommodates three hundred (300) vehicles at a time.
- Re-construction and Modernization of Stadium’s Shop Arena:
The present structures on-the-spot popularly known as Mummy Market, numbering fifty-two (52) Shops were haphazardly constructed by individual occupiers. The place requires modification and reconstruction to align with the modern trend. Hence, the need to partner with would-be-investor.
- Commercialization of Stadium Amphi-Theater
Stadium Amphi-Theatre has a sitting capacity of 1000 people at a time with adjourning meeting facility beneath the Main Arena which has a capacity for 150 people and two rooms for office capacity. The facility is presently in a State of disused. The facility is expected to be given out on Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) Concept.
- Branding and Endorsement of Squash Hall, Indoor Games Hall, Bill Boards, Pitch Panels:
The Council is considering engaging a reputable Organization/Individual for the turning around and development via Branding and Endorsement of Squash Hall, Games Hall, Bill Boards, Pitch-Panels and Lekan Salami Statue.
- Construction and Management of Public Toilet
The Council wishes to state that is no provision of any Public Restroom or Bathroom within the Stadium premises. The Council therefore intends to engage Private Organisation/Individual on Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) concept for the construction and management of a befitting and modern Restroom & Bathroom.
- Reconstruction and Management of a waveless, 10 Lanes, 50 x 25 meters Olympic Standard Swimming Pool on (BOT) Concept.
The projects are expected to be financed by would-be-investors
METHOD OF APPLICATION
- Interested Private Enterprise(s) or Individual(s) are expected to obtain Expression of Interest Form at the Office of Director (Admin & Supplies) Oyo State Sports Council, Lekan Salami Stadium Complex, Adamasingba, Ibadan, after the payment of Non-Refundable Fees of One Hundred Thousand Naira (N100,000.00) only for Expression of Interest Fee to Wema Bank, Plc, Code No. 4040/122 and Twenty Five Thousand Naira (N25,000.00) only as Processing Fee.
- The completed Expression of Interest Form must be submitted in triplicate within four (4) weeks of this advertisement i.e. Monday 24th July, 2017 to Friday 18th August, 2017 to the Office of the Honourable Commissioner, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Secretariat, Ibadan.
- All completed Expression of Interest Form should be accompanied with the following documents:
- Evidence of Company Registration with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
- Evidence of Registration of Business Premises of the company with the Ministry of Commerce, Trade Cooperative and Investment.
- Evidence of Registration with the Oyo State Bureau of Public Procurement.
- Evidence of similar projects successfully executed by the Company.
- Tax Clearance Certificate for the last three (3) years
- Memorandum and Articles of Articles of Association of the Company
- Evidence of Technical & Managerial Capability
- Companies Audited Account for the last three (3) years.
- Evidence of payment for Pre-qualification fee of N100,000.00 already a paid to Wema Bank Code No. 4040/12.
- Evidence of payment of Expression of Interest Form and processing fee of twenty-five thousand naira (N25,000.00) only.
- Evidence of payment of Government Development Levy.
- The Council is neither committed nor obliged to shortlist any Private Film/Individual or award any of the project to any Firm.
- The Council reserves the right to reject any or all Expression of Interest Forms and other documents packages.
- The Council will only recognized and correspond with authorized officers of the interested Film/Individual and not through any agent acting on their behalf.
- This application for Invitation for Expression on Interest shall neither be considered as a commitment on the part of the Oyo State Sports Council nor entitle any Film/Individual to make any claim whatsoever, and, or seek any indemnity for the Oyo State Sports Council.
- Representatives of all the Companies should avail themselves for the consideration of their documents on Thursday 24th August, 2017.
- Late submission of Expression of Interest Form will not be entertained.
- Further clarification can be obtained from the Director (Admin & Supplies), Oyo State Sports Council, Lekan Salami Stadium Complex, Adamasingba, Ibadan.
N.B ALL COMPLETED EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FORM ARE TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE OFFICE OF THE HONOURABLE COMMISSIONER, MINISTRY OF YOUTH AND SPORTS, SECRETARIAT, IBADAN.
A.C. MAKINDE (MR.)
Ag. General Manager,
Oyo State Sports Council.