Improving and sustaining teaching and learning standard in public secondary school in conforming with global practices.
- Recruitment, confirmation, re-absorption, promotion, postings, transfers, discipline, retirement, pension and termination of appointment of staff in the state teaching service;
- Maintain comprehensive and up-to-date Staff records for the teaching service;
- Welfare of staff and providing training programs for Teaching and Non-Teaching Staff;
- Placement on appropriate salary scales in accordance with the uniform guidelines existing in the nationally approved Scheme of Service;
- Prepare Annual Estimates and Establishment proposals for the teaching Service;
- Review and propose modifications in the operational method and organizational structure of the State teaching service regularly,
- Serve as an appellate body for petitions in respect of matters provided for in the law setting up the Commission.
- Supervise Teaching and Non-teaching Staff.
- Re-distribution of Personnel to ensure equitable distribution of Staff to both Rural & Urban Schools;
- 9,800 Teaching and Non-teaching staff have been trained between the periods of 2011 – 2019
- Six hundred and twenty five (625) Public Secondary School across the 33 Local Government of the state were monitored by Teacher Supervisors and Officers from Headquarters
- The Commission recruit two thousand eight hundred and fifty-two (2,852) teaching and non-teaching staff in 2014.
- The Commission gazetted the 1st appointment of teaching and non-teaching staff and confirmation of appointments
- The Commission document and confirmed the appointment of 2,852 teaching and non-teaching staff employed in 2014 in line with Public Service Rules. This had been equally gazetted.
- Compilation and printing of comprehensive staff list of teaching and non-teaching staff.
- Conduct and release of promotion exercises of 2012-2016 to all affected and eligible officers
- Creation of confidential registry
- Prompt payment of monthly salaries
TESCOM was designed to operate through four (4) departments and six (6) Zonal offices.
- The Commission is operating four (4) Directorates namely:
- Directorate of Administration and Supplies
- Directorate of Planning, Research and Statistics
- Directorate of Personnel
- Directorate of Finance and Account
Each of this directorate is headed by a Director, while each Zonal office is headed by Zonal Head. The six (6) zonal offices are:
Ibadan I (Leaf-Road Zone)
Ibadan II (Moniya Zone)
- Oyo Zone
- Ogbomoso Zone
- Saki Zone
- Eruwa Zone
The State Government has expressed concern about the acute shortage of qualified teachers to teach at the Secondary School level in the State.
This informed the need for more qualified teachers in the next few years. It is no doubt that without professionally qualified teachers, the dream of building a globally competitive and development driven education system that instills discipline and technical know-how to our teeming younger generation would continue to be a pipedream.
The availability of qualified and competent teachers, their continuous training and retraining would have to be emphasized to complement other inputs, in order to come up with quality secondary education achievement.
However, government is more concerned about the quality of teachers, more disturbing is a wide gab between the number of qualified teachers required and current number of teachers available in our secondary schools especially in rural areas. The state needs some teachers in the next four years.
However, when redistribution and training of teachers across the state is critically examined and carried out, it would place more responsibilities and higher expectations on the Government i.e both Ministry of Education and the TESCOM in terms of the roles they would be playing in providing more qualified teachers, infrastructure, instructional materials and proper inspection/supervision of schools in the State.
|S/NO||LGA||NO OF SCHOOL||TEACHING||NON TEACHING||TOTAL|
|IBADAN ZONE I|
|2||IBADAN NORTH EAST||34||886||269||1155|
|3||IBADAN NORTH WEST||13||314||62||376|
|4||IBADAN SOUTH EAST||36||882||220||1102|
|5||IBADAN SOUTH WEST||30||926||163||1089|
|IBADAN ZONE II||NO OF SCHOOL||TEACHING||NON TEACHING||TOTAL|
|ERUWA ZONE||NO OF SCHOOL||TEACHING||NON TEACHING||TOTAL|
|OYO ZONE||NO OF SCHOOL||TEACHING||NON TEACHING||TOTAL|
|OGBOMOSO ZONE||NO OF SCHOOL||TEACHING||NON TEACHING||TOTAL|
|SAKI ZONE||NO OF SCHOOL||TEACHING||NON TEACHING||TOTAL|
SUMMARY SHEET OF STAFF STRENGTH
|1||IBADAN ZONE I||4232||33.9%||989||29.7%||5221|
|2||IBADAN ZONE II||2931||23.5%||689||20.7%||3620|
NUMBER OF PTA, SGB AND NYSC TEACHERS IN PUBLIC SECONDARY SCHOOL
|S/N||ZONE||NO OF SCH.||NO OF PTA TEACHERS||NO OF SGB TEACHERS||NYSC|
|1||IBADAN ZONE I||155||369||93||1,880|
|2||IBADAN ZONE II||154||877||172||1,007|
|BARR. A.W.GBADEGESIN||PERMANENT SECRETARY|
|Staff Recruitment in line with the extant rules;
Promotion of both Teaching and Non-teaching staff in tandem with the scheme of service;
Conversion of officers from one cadre to another cadre;
Processing of lateral transfer, inter-state transfer, intra-state transfer and transfer of service for officers;
Condonation of break in service;
Gazette Publication: The gazette of first appointment of both Teaching and Non-teaching staff in all the zones had been corrected and re-produced as it was observed to have a lot of errors, while gazette for confirmation of appointment is on-going.
Change of Name;
Coordinating Recruitment Examination,
Posting of Teaching and Non-teaching staff;
Disciplining of erring Teaching and Non-teaching staff;
Appointment of Supervisors, Vice-Principals, Principals and Zonal Heads which are now interview based;
Conduct of 2013-2016 promotion exercises for TESCOM staff at their various Zonal Headquarters to reduce the risk to life of staff during trips to TESCOM Headquarters for promotion interview and release of letters to all affected staff due for the exercise;
Documentation of records of both new and old staff; and
Any other assignment as the Commission may deem fit.
|2.||ADMINISTRATION AND SUPPLIES DEPARTMENT
|Taking charge of the general administration of the Commission
Advising on general administration matters in the Commission
Assisting in the formulation of policies and their execution
Maintaining Stores and Government Inventories
Processing and Advising on all procurement activities of the Commission
Ensuring compliance with Due Process and the provision of the Procurement Act in all contracts and procurements in the Commission
Approval for maternity leave
Covers Board Meetings and co-ordinates other Meetings
Process all Leave requests of staff (annual, maternity, leave of absence etc.
Allocates and maintains Office Accommodation, Furniture and Equipment for all categories of staff
Handles issues relating to Youth Corps members and Industrial Training Students
Handling issues pertaining to computation of retirement benefits (gratuity and pension) of retiring staff.
Maintains the registry
|3.||FINANCE AND ACCOUNTS DEPARTMENT
|Taking charge of the Accounting duties of the Commission;
Advising in the disbursement of fund;
Taking charge of the disbursement of fund of the Commission; which is inclusive of salaries, leave bonus and other emoluments;
Managing all funds and Public money due and receivable in the Commission;
Collating financial returns from all the Six Zones of the Commission.
Preparing Financial Reports of the Commission and ensuring timely submission to the Office of Accountant General of the State;
Advising the Accounting Officer on Audit and Public Accounts Committee queries;
Responsible for the development and installation of efficient accounting system and control;
Interpretation of Financial Regulations and Treasury Circulars;
Advising the Accounting Officer and other Departmental Heads on accounting matters.
Ensuring proper auditing of financial books before expenditure;
Ensuring proper auditing of staff salaries and leave bonus before they are submitted to and released by Ministry of Finance to TESCOM;
Ensuring the prompt processing of salaries and allowances being released to TESCOM for payment;
Introduction of administrative charges for car and housing loan to improve the revenue of the State Government
|4.||PLANNING, RESEARCH AND STATISTICS DEPARTMENT
|Generation and Management of Personnel data
Preparation of TESCOM Annual Budget ; Monitoring & Evaluation of TESCOM Budget performance
Generation of pertinent data for disbursement of Operational Grants to Schools;
Coordinating Workshops for Teaching and Non-Teaching Staff
Organizing Orientation Programme for NYSC Members posted to TESCOM.
Organizing Orientation and Training for newly recruited TESCOM Staff.
Representing TESCOM on Board of NYSC;
Liase with Zonal offices to obtain necessary information and data;
Represent TESCOM on international committees or events and programme of all MDAs
The data bank of TESCOM is being updated.
|Monitoring of Schools;
Proposing of suitable officers for the post of principals, Vice Principals and Supervisors;
Posting of Teaching and Non-teaching Staff to various Schools
impromptu monitoring of teachers activities in various schools in order to improve performance of student in Exams;